Rules: list the first lines of your last 10 published stories. See if there are any patterns yourself, or have other people say what they notice.
FYI: I excluded one of my last 10 because it was in response to a challenge where everybody had to start a story with the same first line, so it's not indicative of my style.
1. Her laughter rings throughout the cottage. - The Magic of Destiny
2. From the edge of the training field, the clang of sword meeting sword rang in five year-old Arthur's ears like the clarion song of birds first thing in the morning. - Picking Up the Sword
3. Percival stands at the door, knowing he should knock, scared of what will happen when he does. - Leave My Heart At the Door
4. The email from Morgana came with a link and three words. - Let's Get Personal
5. "You can't be serious." - Simple and Grand
6. As the day progressed, Merlin felt the back of his neck get redder and redder. - New Kid
7. For the most part, Arthur excused Merlin's tardiness. - In Return
8. Though it was hardly the first time he’d gone out since Gwen’s death, something about Gaius’s retirement party put Arthur into a maudlin mood, almost from the moment they walked through the hall’s doors. - Sharing the Same Truth
9. Icy water sprayed across Arthur’s trousers as the taxi rolled past, soaking him to the skin before he could jump back away from the street. - Like a Song
10. “I think you should come in.” - Count Me In
I already knew what some of my favorite ways to start fics were. I like short lines of dialogue without tags and visceral imagery - sound or touch most often - that lead into something else. Six of these do that. Two of the others convey an emotional effect to set a mood, which I like for shorter fic.