Well, I started my fourth attempt at writing one of the novellas due on June 1 yesterday, and already it feels different. I spent a few hours just thinking it all over and realized that part of what was bugging me about my last try was that it lacked urgency. Since I already had the title approved, I didn't want to look like more of a flake than I felt and wondered if there was some way to salvage it.
I decided there was. I took one of the characters and his situation, and I created a new counterpoint to him, one that brings that urgency I lacked. I'll be able to re-use a few scraps of what I've already done, too, so it wasn't a complete waste.
Now I just have to hope that it sticks so I can finish it. I hope so. It feels like I should. My muse likes these guys better.