Tonight's was MILES better. This is a keeper and going on permanent rotation in this house. So now I'm sharing the recipe with you. :)
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
2 wide strips lemon zest
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp garam masala
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup uncooked jasmine rice, lightly rinsed and drained
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper
1. Place apricots and lemon zest in 2 cups cold water. Let soak while preparing other ingredients.
2. Melt butter in large pan over medium heat. Add garam masala and toast until fragrant, stirring constantly, about 1 minute.
3. Add onion and 1/4 tsp salt, and cook until onion is tender and translucent, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
4. Stir in rice and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
5. Stir in apricots and lemon zest, along with the soaking water. Add 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper (or to taste). Bring to a simmer.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Then, turn off heat and let sit for additional 5 minutes undisturbed.
7. Remove bay leaf, fluff rice, and serve.
NOTES: Serves 4. The original recipe suggests topping with mint and toasted pistachios, but I didn't do that and didn't miss it at all. It would also be fantastic with grilled chicken mixed in to serve as a main course.