So to kickstart posting every day again, I'm going to share a recipe I tried the other night for the kids. We have a new ritual in this house. I used to be *really* close to Safeway, and had no problems running to the store every day to get what I wanted. It was fast and then done, which I liked. Here, the local Safeway is better than our old one, but not nearly as close. Going every day would be a pain in the butt, so I've taken to doing one weekly shop, and then running to Lucky - which is closer, but I really don't like very much - to get something I might need last minute. Because I'm kinda sorta planning a week's meals - if not specifics, then generalities because I just do not want to be doing the shopping so often - I've taken to sitting the kids down the night before the shopping trip, giving them free rein of all my cookbooks, and letting them pick something out. It's been interesting, lol. Probably the biggest hit so far was this drink that Alex picked out for Saturday night, though.
It's a Weight Watchers recipe, but that just means it's not as calorie-laden as it's full fat siblings, lol. But it was ohmigod so good, and a keeper for us.
2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup marshmallow creme
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, but do not boil.
2. Combine cocoa, sugar, coffee, and cinnamon.
3. Add cocoa mixture to milk mixture in pan, stirring with a whisk until smooth.
4. Stir in marshmallow creme.
5. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly with a whisk.
6. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 1 more minute, still stirring.
7. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
8. Pour into mugs
NOTES: Makes 3 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup). For WW, it's 3 points a serving. It's *very* rich. You'd have to really love rich stuff to drink much more than that, lol.