Oh my god.
These were so amazing.
The recipe is here, but if you don't want to follow the link, I'm putting it under the cut and in my memories just to ensure I don't lose it. I made a couple changes to the original recipe to make it a little lower in sugar, but it still turned out amazing.
2 cans refrigerated crescent rolls
2 granny smith apples, cored and cut into 8 slices
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup white sugar (I actually split this up into 1/2 c Splenda and 1/2 c sugar and it still tasted great)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup Diet Mountain Dew (or any lemon/lime soda. I went with diet because of the sugar)
1. Spray inside of crockpot with cooking spray.
2. Roll out the crescent triangles and wrap an apple slice in each one. Place in crockpot.
3. Melt the butter over a low heat.
4. Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon, and stir just to combine. The sugar doesn't need to melt.
5. Pour over dumplings, getting down in between all the cracks to coat everywhere you can.
6. Pour soda over the entire thing.
7. Prop crockpot lid open with a spoon or a skewer or just something to keep it slightly ajar.
8. Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until the dough is brown and cooked through.
NOTES: This served my family of four with no leftovers. Everybody gobbled these down. So moist and gooey and delicious.