Out of Mind, Out of Sight
Snyder: There are no dead students here...this week.
Cordelia: I know you're very strong, and you've got all those weapons. I was kind of hoping you were in a gang.
Cordy's moments of depth. This episode works so much because of her.
Revelations as I watch:
1. Cordelia claims her eyes are hazel? I always thought they were brown. They sure look brown to me.
2. I love how obsessed Snyder is with everybody suing.
3. Willow's hair gets redder and redder as the season progresses.
4. Giles seems far too surprised with the knowledge that vampires don't have reflections.
5. It's interesting how at ease Giles is with Angel in this episode. There's an admiration there, like he's trying to impress Angel. Seeking his approval. It's so at odd with all the stuff that comes later.
6. This is actually one of my favorite episodes from this first season. I think the themes in this one resonate with me more than others, and I love the implications.
7. I'm not a Cordy fan while she's on BtVS, but I do love her in this episode. I love the depth she's allowed, without abandoning who she really is.
8. So does anybody recognize the music Marcie lures Giles, Willow and Xander with? I want to think it's significant in some way. But that could be me giving Joss too much credit, lol.
9. Marcie was only supposed to be invisible. How did she get super-strength to pull Cordelia through the ceiling like that?
10. The Bronze gets fumigated *a lot*. I think I'd figure out someplace else to go if I lived in Sunnydale.
11. S1 was very fond of these cliffhanger, ohmigod endings. Very Twilight Zone.
12. How does Marcy know where to sit? Can invisible people see invisible people?
Angel: I wasn't looking at your neck.
Xander: I told you to eat before we left.
Buffy on the rooftop fighting the Master. This is the Buffy I adore. She's quippy, she's effective, she's smart.
Revelations as I watch:
1. I like Xander. I really do. But he's an absolute schmuck at the top of this episode, practicing on Willow. And she's so enamored that she doesn't even mind it's not for her.
2. Buffy has never hinted anything at Xander, and it bugs me that Xander gets as hurt as he does, that he honestly thought he stood a chance with Buffy. He's so oblivious in this episode. But yay Willow having some self-respect!
3. Giles knows Angel's phone number! Which leads me to wonder how he got it. And how often he's used it.
4. I'll admit it. I'm a sucker for Willow tears.
5. At least Giles didn't get knocked out by the bad guy this time.
6. Willow's slightly annoyed response to Jenny's presence is just further evidence of how resistant these three are to change.
7. Buffy's very cute in this episode.
8. The scene with the vamps approaching always makes me think, "Brains..."
9. First? The Master's bite is the wimpiest bite ever. Second? If he knew about this prophecy all along, why was he so upset about the Harvest failing?
10. I'm not even going to touch the no breath thing...
11. Xander only did the CPR so he could kiss Buffy and touch her breasts.
12. And hey! Cordelia passed her driver's test at some point!
13. Giles left Cordy to hold the main doors? Does he *want* to lose?
14. So how does Buffy know where the Master is? Is there some kind of connection because of the hunter/hunted thing? Or some kind of psychic bond because he fed from her? Is this the justification people use to explain psychic connections between vampires and victims in fic?