Writer's Meme: Sometimes it's okay to pimp yourself out. Post a list of your top five favorite fics you've written, regardless of fandom or the reason you love them. This isn't about the best things you've written, but what you love most. Then tag five other people to do the same.
I'm bending the rules a little. I'm doing five fics and five original stories. ;)
1. Legions of True Hearts: William/Buffy, NC17. I wrote this one completely for myself. At the time, I was also writing Promise of Frost, and literally, I had 10 readers for Frost for every 1 for Legions. I wrote it completely to satisfy my need to have a long, plotty, romantic William fic, because I adore William so. And I did it - for better or worse - without a beta. It was all about me.
2. Delicate: Wesley/Willow, NC17. Another one I wrote to satisfy my own need, lol. Are we detecting a theme here? I love this for a lot of reasons, for how easily it came, for how sweet they are together, for hope. It's one of my feelgood fics.
3. A Stone's Throw from Yesterday: Spike/Buffy, PG13. I wrote this for sadbhyl's Sting Soul Cages ficathon. It was my first attempt at something angsty as well as my first post-Chosen effort. I love it for how well I got the poetry snippets to work for Spike's dialogue, for getting to play with my secret love for Xander/Dawn, for making Spike's death in Chosen mean more for me.
4. This Wanton World: Spike/Buffy, NC17. A fic that terrified me when I started it. It was very dark for me, and was my first attempt at writing some characters - Ethan, Lilah - so there was a lot to be scared of. I actually love this entire 'verse, but to pick one story out, this is it. Because I love how complex all the relationships are. I loved writing an evil Spike falling for Buffy that isn't about her being jailbait (I have a small problem with jailbait Buffy for some reason). I love some of the imagery; one of my favorite images in *any* of my stories comes from this one - the one where Buffy, having just discovered some of the stuff Ethan has been keeping on her, is trashing the apartment, and a helpless Spike is on the other side of the barrier, unable to get to her to stop her.
5. A Soul to Seduce: Spike/Buffy, Wes/Faith, NC17. This isn't higher because it's not done yet. Anything can happen that can either move this up or take it down, but for now, it's at #5. I'm getting to play with new characters - Lindsey, Dana - and I get my first long attempt at writing Wes/Faith. Plus, ensemble. I love ensemble stories. Of course, when it's done, all I want to do is write a story with Spike and Buffy locked in a room somewhere because I'm tired of juggling all the people around, but hey, that's only temporary.
1. Price of a Tattooed Soul: A lonely mage summons a woman through time. It could be my current favorite because it's my newest release, but honestly, I adore Del. I'm a sucker for the tortured, lonely romantic determined to love and protect the woman he loves.
2. Chasing Silver: This one isn't out yet. It's another time travel, about streetwise Remy Capra landing in the middle of bounty hunter Nathan Pierce's lap, and the cop who travels through time to take back what Remy has stolen. I love this for how organic it felt while Pepper and I were writing it, for the passion between Remy and Nathan. This will be coming out in paperback this September at a bookstore near you. :)
3. Under a Rogue Moon: My first LSB release and my only werewolf story, about English demonhunter Flanna McRae suddenly being hunted by the werewolf she failed to catch. I love this one for my charming Jason. He makes me smile every time. Plus, the words just flowed with this one. Always gotta love when that happens.
4. Chains of Jericho: My very first e-book. The vampire story that got me going. How could this not be in my top 5? :)
5. Master of Obsidian: Another one that isn't out yet, though it looks like it's coming out May 1 from Amber Quill Press. This one is purely about hitting kinks. It's gay vampire BDSM, and it's spawned a whole series for me and Pepper. It won't be remaining gay, by the way. The third book introduces a girl into the mix. Well, book 2 introduces her. Book 3 gets her into the guys' bed. ;)
Wow, I can talk a lot about my own work, lol.
Tomorrow at 6am, I get on a flight for Virginia. I'm going to be in Virginia Beach for a booksigning Thursday night (I'm terrified), and the EPICon conference. A weekend with other writers, and an awards ceremony I get to get dressed up for on Saturday night (though I'm presenting, more terror). It will be nice and relaxing. Which is good because Craig leaves for India next Wednesday, lol.
I'm taking our verizon card so that I can get online while I'm there. I don't think I could make it all the way to Monday without being able to get online. ;)