FOR THE CAKE
Whole (or chopped) pecans (optional)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup white rum
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 pkg instant vanilla pudding
1 pkg yellow cake mix
FOR THE SAUCE
1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white rum
1/4 cup water
To make the cake:
1. Grease/flour bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Line bottom of pan with pecans. (This step is actually optional. Having pecans on the bottom of the pan creates a praline-type top to the cake that is quite nice, but not necessary.)
3. Beat eggs, water, rum and oil until frothy.
4. Stir in pudding mix.
5. Slowly add cake mix and beat until smooth.
6. Pour into pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
To make the sauce:
1. Five minutes before cake is set to come out, place all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Boil for 1 minute.
3. Pour sauce over the cake as soon as it's removed from the oven, while it's still in the pan.
Let cake stand for 25 minutes before turning into serving plate.
NOTES: To pretty this up, you can dust powdered sugar over the cake once it's completely cool. Make sure you wait until it's completely cold, though, or the sugar will melt and defeat the purpose. Also, for some reason, while this cake is wonderful cold, it's even better warm. If you don't eat it still warm from the oven, I suggest nuking it for just a few seconds before you eat it. You will be amazed at the difference.