So, today is the start of a brand new year. With so much tragedy in the world at the moment, it really drives home how fortunate we all are, even when we think we're not. It's easy to focus on the negative, but it's important to remember what makes it all worthwhile in the first place. I wish I had the time to contribute to the fandom charity thing that's going around, but I really don't and am doing what I can elsewhere. I just hope that everyone out there finds their own way to contribute in this time of crisis. I'm not of the mind that each man is an island (which is a horribly inappropriate metaphor to use at this time but at 8am my mind isn't sharp enough to come up with something else). We live in a global community, whether people realize it or not, and there is nothing on this planet that will convince me that it's not my duty to do everything I can to support and aid my fellow man. I don't care if he's in my backyard or on the other side of the planet, if he's helped me in the past or not. I couldn't be happy with the kind of person I need to be if I didn't help in some way.
But the new year means new resolutions, and I've made a few.
1. Go back to my workout schedule. Between vacations and guests, I let this slide. I'm getting back on track this week. Which will hopefully help lead to...
2. Lose 40 pounds this year. 40 is doable. That's less than a pound a week. And I'd still be happy with the weight. I've started this path, and lost 15 pounds already, so I know I can do it.
3. Finish my novel. I said this last year, but maybe turning 35 has kicked me in the butt. What I lack is motivation and so I've created an LJ community that I hope will convince me that it's worth working on. I'll be posting more on that later today.
4. Be more stringent in taking care of my skin and teeth. That means more flossing and sticking with my skin regime. Every day, not just when I remember.
5. Read more. I've fallen behind on my reading. I'd like to get back to reading at least one new book a week. I miss the days when I read a book a day. Speaking of books...
6. I want to organize them. I have them put away---well, what can fit on shelves---but I want some order.
7. Learn Photoshop. Last year, I bought myself a manual to go through lesson by lesson to try and learn the features, but I couldn't even tell you where that book is now. (See #6, oi.)
8. Comment on LJ more. I said this last year, but I've added it to my tracking so that I leave a minimum number of comments every day. Hopefully I'll stick to it.
9. Write 3000 words a day. I've let this slide during busy times of my life over the past year, but no more excuses. I always strive for that 3000 word mark, and 3 times out of 5, I hit it. I want it to be 5 out of 5.
10. Try at least one new recipe a week. I get bored with food, which is one reason why I hit hard patches in fixing my diet. This should help.
Today will be taking down all the Christmas decorations and cleaning up. I have to sort through Alicia's artwork as it has piled up in the past few weeks. Having Nana around seems to draw even more of the artist out in her. Last night, Alicia handed me a picture and said it was me and Spike. When I smiled, her only comment was, "I kind of noticed that you like him." lol